31.03.2025
Ballymore Eustace Parishioners Bid to Preserve Historic Church

Parishioners of St John the Evangelist Church in Ballymore Eustace have launched a fundraising drive for major restoration work to preserve the historic building for future generations. Part of the Blessington Union of Parishes in the Diocese of Glendalough, the church was built in 1820 on an ancient religious site dating back to 1192. The restoration works will be carried out in phases under professional supervision.
Among the works identified under the plans is a new energy–efficient electrical heating system to replace the outdated oil boiler. Roof refurbishments are imminently critical and works include replacing slates, treating timbers, repairing leadwork and fixing gutters. External plasterwork will be surveyed and repaired, and once weatherproofing is complete, interior redecoration will follow.
Additionally, plans include repairing stained glass windows when funds allow. Fundraising efforts are ongoing to support the restoration.
As part of the parish’s fundraising efforts they have launched an online donations campaign on idonate. You can donate towards the works at St John’s here: https://www.idonate.ie/cause/StJohnsChurchBallymore
St John’s is home to a number of historically significant features. The church contains a 12th century granite baptismal fond and a 16th century stone effigy of a chain mailed knight, Sir Thomas FitzEustace of Castlemartin who died in 1454. In the grounds of the church are two high crosses.